Saturday, August 30, 2008

Au Revoir!


It was disappointing to read that Jose Marie Cortes, director of Alliance Francaise de Trivandrum and his lovely wife Sayoko will be leaving for Japan. Jose Marie did such wonderful work for Alliance Francaise. The cultural programmes and music concerts held at AKG Hall and Vylopilli Samskriti Bhavan, under his tenure, would remain in one's hearts forever. French is beautiful language, quite musical to me, amidst all the european languages which has a number of students learning it at various levels at Alliance Francaise at Vazhuthacaud. I had learnt French in my school days from an Egyptian teacher. Egyptians and Lebanese have French as their second language after Arabic. Both my children enjoyed learning French for 2 years back in their school days. My son used to encourage me to revive my knowledge of French by enrolling at Alliance Francaise. Unfortunately my busy schedule didn't permit me to persue the beautiful language.
The musical interludes held on World Music day, where anyone could regsiter and sing was an opportunity for non-professional singers whose voices were heard and appreciated. The painting and sculpture exhibitions held at Alliance Francaise are things an art lover should never miss in Trivandrum. They made Trivandrum their home and Jean Claude takes back to Japan with him a Ganesha and the knowledge and benefits of yoga. He calls Ganesha, the God of Help. One of the unforgettable experiences I had was enjoying a Kathakali puppet show organized by Alliance Francaise. Shadow shows, poetry recitations from poets hailing from various parts of the world, pop and rock concerts, photography exhibitions, French film screening and so much more. I hope we would still continue to have all the cultural fete even after Jose Marie moves to Japan. I was surprised to know his wife plans to carry with her the 'puttu kutti' and even more surprised to know that she prepares 'puttu' . And they would carry for ever in their hearts memories of Trivandrum.

No comments: