Friday, August 22, 2008

WHAT'S THE PRICE


My aunt wanting to buy a pair of sandals, my daughter and I guided her to a shop, where she found the sandals of her choice. I noticed there was no MRP marked on the sandals nor in the box it is packed in. Don't we have municipality inspection to ensure regulations are followed, to protect the consumers. For a simple pair of sandals, the salesman quoted an exorbitant price of 495. I wondered why wasnt it being priced at a round figure of 500 instead 495. His sales techniques to encourage my aunt to purchase the sandal bore fruit as I found her making up her mind to settle for the sandal she felt she would walk in comfort. He promised the sandals would last till eternity (to our amusement). When she asked for a discount, a whole drama unfolded. He said the last price would be 460/- and my aunt was prepared to buy it if it were 420/-rs to which he moaned and pleaded that it would be impossible and they would make no profit. My aunt returned the sandals took her money back and was leaving the shop, when the salesman told her she can have it after trying to cajole her to pay 430/- to which she refused. However, she did eventually come home with simple, yet elegant sandals for rs. 420/-. I felt he still made a good profit. There has to be a way to check rising prices and ensure that MRP is marked. Until then, consumers beware!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Couldn't have said it better, Aruna aunty. An eye-opener for those unaware of how one can end up paying more than required and also a reminder to those who know. But the sad part is that there are many who know that what they are paying isn't worth that much but still pay the amount.